Deacon Greg 5-10-20

Greetings Church!

Note that in today’s Second Reading we are called to be “living stones!” This sets forth a certain logic in understand the connection that we all have with the cornerstone, Jesus Christ. As he was THE living stone, we too are called to recognize our strength and purpose, being willing TO BE BUILT into spiritual houses! Certainly those houses are to be your own homes, but today, let us also be built into THE CHURCH!

———
Happy Mother’s Day to all the Mom’s out there! As civil as this holiday is, it is fitting that we also lift up our Blessed Mother during this month of May, as she inspires all of our Mothers to love, teach and walk with their children each day. I think it is also fitting that the qualities and the gifts of motherhood that we celebrate today, are the same gifts and qualities asked of each of us by our Lord, as we follow him in discipleship.
———

Now and then, it helps to reset things and step back to see the big picture. During these past several weeks, our Scripture journey has taken us through the beginning of the Acts of the Apostles, as we’ve seen Peter and the Apostles come out of the Upper Room to begin their proclamation of the Risen Lord. Many were Baptized, and some were even healed, as they embarked on their journey to share the Good News. Many listened, and many did not, but the joy and power of the Holy Spirit flowed with every step!

How is your proclamation of the Gospel going? Are you filled with joy and the power of the Holy Spirit?

Since Easter, in John’s Gospel, Jesus posed the reality to Nicodemus of being born again in Christ, for “God so loved the world, that he sent his only Son so that whoever believes in him, might not perish, but might have eternal life… A light came into the world, but people preferred darkness to light.”

There are so many choices out there. Which do you prefer, darkness or light?

Jesus then multiplied the five loaves and the two fish, so that all might have their fill, and still have some leftover. The people saw this and said, “This is truly the Prophet who is to come into the world… What can we do to [help] accomplish the works of God?” Jesus answered, JUST BELIEVE, and the people responded with a question: “What sign can you do, that we may see and believe in you?” Christ must have thought, Really? He just fed 5000 people with five loaves and two fish, and they dare ask, “What can you do?”

Jesus doubled down and responded with what has become the crux of our spiritual appetite, when he said, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst… Whoever eats my Flesh and drinks my Blood has eternal life, and I will raise him on the last day. For my Flesh is true food, and my Blood is true drink.” As a result of this, many of his disciples returned to their former way of life and no longer walked with him. Jesus then said to the Twelve, “Do you also want to leave?” Simon Peter answered him, “Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.

This whole thing has gotten complicated. Do you also want to leave?

Last Sunday, John introduced us to Jesus the Good Shepherd, who is ready to lay down his life for his sheep, as “he came so that we might have life, and have it more abundantly!” As he said, “my sheep hear and know my voice, and therefor, follow in his path!

And the people, still confused, ask, “How long are you going to keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.” Christ must have thought again, REALLY?

With all of the examples of God’s love and power out there, do you need more evidence to be convinced that he is The Christ?

So it’s fitting that the Gospel that “Jesus cried out and said, (almost with frustration) ‘Whoever believes in me believes not only in me but also in the one who sent me...”. Today, the Gospel tells us that as Christ has been sent by the Father, and all know the Father through him, so are went sent by Christ, to bring his light into the world, so that all might know him!

Which brings us to today’s Gospel, as Christ reassures us saying, “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me!” I am going to prepare a place for you, and come back again to take you to myself… Where I am going, you know the way!

Thomas’ question is honest and it’s the question that was on everyone’s heart, “Master, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?” Jesus’ heart must have been bursting with love for his disciples, he must have gently smiled, and calmly said, “I am the way, the truth and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you know me, then you will also know my Father. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

Almost like he was out of the room, walking back in only to hear the last sentence spoken to Thomas and the disciples, “Philip said to him, ‘Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us.’” Jesus’ head must have dropped, and with a slight chuckle in his voice, responded, “Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father.”

Our Gospel journey to today shares these moments of authentic confusion on the part of the people, and Thomas, and Phillip, because they’re all speaking OUR language. But it all begs the questions, why are we so afraid to trust? Why are we so worried about the details? What if it were just as simple as Jesus has said? Believe in me, consume me, and follow me! I am the way! The Father is in me, and I am in the Father! Amen, amen, I say to you, whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these…”

This why the Acts of the Apostles today shares with us the call of the first Deacons, and the hands that were laid upon them, to simply serve the poor.

This is why in our Second Reading, Pete pleads for us to, “Come to him, a living stone, rejected by human beings but chosen and precious in the sight of God.” He calls on you, the new disciples, “like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ… You are “a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may announce the praises” of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

This stone, laid in our midst, is Jesus Christ, the cornerstone, the foundation of our faith, and the truth that can set us free! Some may stumble and fall over it, but we must be there to guide them on “The Way!”

Why? Because Jesus said, I am going to the Father, AND I AM LEAVING THIS WITH YOU… THE CHURCH!

Note that Pentecost, the birthday of The Church, is just three weeks away!
It’s time to ask our questions, and listen to the answers…
Because soon, it’ll be time to go to work!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Deacon Greg 12-4-22

Deacon Greg 11-20-22

Deacon Greg 10-30-22